OPEN SPACES 800 in 2021:
SPACE BOCHOLT – home town, place of living, learning and working …
All interested artists are cordially invited to apply for the cross-border art project OPEN SPACES 800.
A total of 15 artists from Germany and abroad can apply for the open call for OPEN SPACES 800.
At the beginning of February 2021, an independent jury of experts will select 15 artists from the submitted project ideas and invite them to participate.
During the project period starting on 17 September, the selected artists will work on their artworks on site in Bocholt. The two workshop/exhibition locations in-SPACE KUNSTHAUS and out-SPACE KUBAAI are available for this purpose.
Content of the art project
1) Its content should anticipate the 800th anniversary of the town of Bocholt, which will be celebrated in 2022. The theme CITY is to be considered artistically in all its facets, with the border and European city of BOCHOLT at its centre.
- CITY = active place (SPACE) of living together
- CITY = centre and surroundings
- CITY = Past, Today, Tomorrow CITY = culture, economy, life between work and recreation
- CITY = home town (Heimat) and place of refuge
2) Due to the Corona pandemic, SPACE has become a vital issue for all people. All communities – whether city, village or country – were/are put to the test by the pandemic. This also applies to the city of Bocholt, its surroundings and the border area to the Netherlands.
- SPACE = nearness and distance
- SPACE = respecting the space of the other
- SPACE = for the fundamental right to health
- SPACE = new solutions to preserve the Community
- SPACE = town – village – country
This also includes the question: What could the home town of Bocholt look like in the future?
- Border town … At home in cross-border diversity
- Europe … Home of cultures of every generation
- Place of welcome … Solidarity and social cohesion
- Place to live … people-friendly, creative, environmentally conscious
- Place for the future … ecosocial, sustainable, economically visionary
We would like to invite you as an artist to take a closer look at the SPACE BOCHOLT and apply for the project.
The OPEN SPACES 800 WORD CUBE is available as an inspiration and artistic “travel guide”. It presents at a glance the individual themes that are inseparably linked with the SPACE CITY BOCHOLT.
Project ideas and work concepts are to be developed and realised from these impulses as: Painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, collage, Object art, installation, digital art.
in-SPACE KUNSTHAUS & out-SPACE KUBAAI
The artists work on site in the KUNSTHAUS BOCHOLT and on the open KUBAAI grounds: Together – side by side – in dialogue with interested visitors.
The in-SPACE KUNSTHAUS is a historical building from the 19th century, whose room dimensions have a classical structure. The spatial conditions of the building inevitably influence the works of art to be created.
The out-SPACE at the KUBAAI site, a cultural quarter currently under construction, is available for larger objects in the outside area. This place is also historical: it is home to the history of the textile industry of the 19th century. A tent roof provides protection.
Accommodation & Artist Fee
Accommodation: Artists who are not resident in Bocholt will be accommodated with host families. This gives all guest artists a kind of “home away from home” feeling in Bocholt during the workshop phase. Further information in the application form.
Artist’s fee: Participants of OPEN SPACES 800 will receive an artist’s fee. Further information in the application form.
Please fill out the application form, which you can download here: Application.
Applications can be submitted until Friday, 29 January 2021 (17.00) at the latest:
- Only in digital form.
- Please send the application form via e-mail to: email@example.com
- In German or English language.
- Paper and postal applications will not be considered.
OPEN SPACES 800 is organised by the City of Bocholt (Department of Culture and Education) in cooperation with LWL-TextilWerk, Euregio-Kunstkreis im Kunsthaus Bocholt, Europe Direct Informationszentrum Bocholt, Stadtsparkasse Bocholt and Grenzhoppers. OPEN SPACES 800 is funded by the State of North Rhine-Westphalia under the programme “Heimat-Werkstatt”.
OPEN SPACES 800: A shared art experience and art experiment!
Forum of Ideas
OPEN SPACES 800 will start in May 2021 with a public IDEAS FORUM. At this forum of ideas, the 15 artists and interested citizens will be invited to a “get-to-know-each-other” meeting in Bocholt, possibly as an online meeting via video conference/streaming. Further details will be announced.
As part of OPEN SPACES 800, the PEOPLE PARTICIPATION ARTSPROJECT MY SPACES 008 will take place from 17 to 27 September. This is aimed at the people living and working here in the area of Bocholt, the surrounding area and the border region. They are the BUILDING STONES of TOWN – VILLAGE – COUNTRY – HOME (HEIMAT).
This art project will be an interactive and inspiring experience for artists and visitors of all ages – across borders!
Therefore, as curator of OPEN SPACES 800 I am already looking forward to your applications and ideas!
If you have any questions, please contact me via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.